Six Mile Missionary Baptist Church was founded in 1812 from a vision of Miller’s Cove. In 1811, they began to pray and seek God’s will as to whether or not to build a church in this community. After almost a year of prayer, that’s just what they did. They came across the mountain and down to the valley to help organize and build this church.
The first church building was completed in 1818, a one-room, log structure, located close to a “never-failing” spring on a two-acre site. Six Mile was admitted to the Tennessee Baptist Association in 1815.
The second structure was a one-room church, which faced the existing church and a one-room schoolhouse was beside it, facing Old Piney Road. In 1870, a cloudburst caused raging waters from the nearby creek to fill the church.
The third structure was a white, T-shaped frame building built on higher ground facing Montvale Road. This building was occupied until 1966 but also had problems with flooding. It was sold and a new church built.
The fourth structure was dedicated in 1967 and located at the site of second church at the intersection of Montvale and Jericho roads. The last service in this building was held April 14, 1991, when ground was broken for the fifth church. A portion of the front, roof and steeple of the fourth church was utilized for this building that continues to stand to this day.